28 June 2012

List of 30: 07. What is your dream job, and why?



This is a question I've been asking myself since I left school.

I don't see any specific job as a dream job right now.

I could stay in hotels.

I could go back to school for something else.

But would I be completely content with my life -- or would I wonder "what if"?


My dream job would consist of:
  • Time for my family: I don't visit my extended family in Albuquerque enough, and now that I'm futher away, it's even harder. I'd also like time for Riley and -- when the time comes -- our kids. Families do things together, right?
  • Easily acquired time off for holidays and vacation (paid or unpaid): This kind of goes hand and hand with time for my family. Can't take many trips if I can't get time off. Pretty much the only problem I have working in hotels since they're open 24/7.
  • Something I can enjoy on a daily basis: Doing something that makes me happy will make my work so much stronger. I enjoy working in hotels, which makes going to work so much easier -- even on hard days -- than a job that I even mildly dislike.
  • Working with people: I'm a social person. I like helping people and working with them. I wouldn't be able to sit in a cubicle or office all day and not interact face to face with someone. Just isn't going to happen.
  • As little math required as possible: Math is not my strong suit. End of story.
  • Comfortable pay: I don't want to be forced to live as a pauper, but I don't need tons of money to be happy. Just a comfortable paycheck to pad my savings and afford the necessities. 
  • No more than 40 hours a week: I've done more than 40 and it's not healthy. The money is (usually) great, however my health is not worth the paychecks.

 I won't be in Cheney forever, so that means I will eventually leave the hotel. Until then, I can work with wonderful people, with 98% of my dream job requirements. I may stay in hotels after I leave here, but, since life has no roadmap, I'm not planning on anything until the time comes for me to. 


post signature

No comments: