17 July 2012

Re: The signs of a meaningful life

I'm a reader of the Skool of Life blog by Srini Rao and as I was going through my feed today, I saw this post by him.

In this post, he's on the way to a beach for a surf lesson and he sees a bunch of signs, looking much like someone's public bucket list.

I'm not a huge fan of "bucket lists" since I'd rather map out goals and make them happen as my circumstances allow.

Srini wrote: "But when I got  to the beach, I thought to myself “If I did all the things on this guy’s bucket list, I would feel as if I had lived a meaningful life.” An hour later, I overheard a girl in the water talking about the signs and the fact that she had just been proposed to. So I assume the signs had something to do with that.  The signs reminded me of just how much more valuable a life made up of experiences is than one made up of possessions."

I'm not a materalistic person. While I enjoy my possessions, the only things I truly would be devastated if something happened to would be my scooter. Everything else is moderately easily replaceable (though I'd rather not go through the inconvenience of doing so), but that scooter is a rare model and much more difficult to replace than a yoga mat, DVD collection, or iPhone.

How many of us would have items on our bucket list that simply show wealth or money or power? How many would actually be experiences?

If this was the last year of my life, what would I put on those signs?


1. Live in Europe
2. Hug a koala
3. Help an underdeveloped village in Africa
4. Hike to Machu Picchu (Inca Trail) and have a ticket to Huayna Picchu.
5. Backback from China to Singapore
6. Have coffee with as many friends (old or new) as possible.
7. Take yoga lessons in India
8. See all 7 Wonders of the World (Medieval list)
9. Write a novel
10. Leave my mom with enough money to retire comfortably

I've recently started putting my life back together and realized I had a blank canvas. I'm preparing to live the live I've always wanted and be the person I truly am and want to be, rather than the one I thought I should.

Srini said "When you get to the end of the road of this journey called life, all you’ll be left with is the feelings you’ve felt, the memories you’ve formed,  and  the footprints on your  imagination from the experiences you’ve had. As you might remember, nobody leaves this world with a thing in their pockets. So give some serious thought to what you want to be able to take with you when you go."


What is most important to you? What would you do if you found out you had only one year to live and a grant to let you do whatever you wanted?

This is my list. What's yours?


post signature

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I saw your comment over on Srini's Skool of Life blog and had to come over and read your post.

WOW! What a goal list! I've been super surprised to see how many exotic and far away places people have put on their own "bucket lists". I'd be curious to find out what their thinking is behind the desire. Did they see the country in a movie? Is it their home country?

I think my goal list is experiences focused from movies. The first place I would love to go is Dartmoor Zoological Park in Devon, England where We Bought A Zoo was filmed.

I would also LOVE to see New Zealand and/or Australia because, frankly, I want to see a kangaroo in person (even though I wouldn't attempt to hug it.) I guess I want to experience as much life as possible and share those experiences in my husband and young son.

Unknown said...

Hi! Thanks for your comment. :)
For me, the exotic places is a life-long obsession. I've been at least bi-lingual for most of my life and currently I'm managing 3 foreign languages as well as English. So I had a natural curiosity for and obsession with other cultures for a long time.

Movies are a great way to find out about a place you'd like to go! Who hasn't seen a movie and said "wow that is a really beautiful setting, where is that?" and want to visit? I haven't seen We Bought A Zoo yet, but it's on my "to watch" list. I'll see it eventually haha.

New Zealand and Australia are definitely in the Top 10 places I'd LOVE to visit. The Aussies and Kiwis are both super laid back and chill people and I'd love to visit their home countries. Wouldn't mind seeing a NZ rugby match either!

I love your passion for experiences. I think it's something not many people strive for enough to make it a priority.